Jan 14, 2012

Trying to make a Short Animation Film: Part III

What I wanted to write about was this simple piece of advice I came across which suddenly seemed to free me, in terms of the nitty-gritties of making my film.

'Simplify'

I quote from the blog I read it:
""Simplify" is always good advice, and it applies to everything. Simplify your film as much as you can, without making it bland and uninteresting, so that you can spend your time working on the parts that are important. "

Click to read the full article on Temple of the Seven Golden Camels.

It was as if I was liberated all of a sudden, and things began to fall in place in my head.

I was worrying about my need to finish my film on schedule and the restrictions my current amount of animation ability. I wasn't sure if my own doubts have had any effect on my character designs, or story length etc.

In fact the primary reason  I had decided to try a minimalist approach for the backgrounds was that I was afraid of the time that might be wasted, not wasted but mis-spent, upon making detailed, extensive backgrounds, which might be better put to use on animation, or improving my animation.
I then, of course, justified this decision with the statement that my film was character-centric!

But reading this post made me realize, that the end ideal is not to have a perfect film, or amazing animation, or beautiful backgrounds/artwork. The point of making a film (or any artwork for that matter) is WHAT I want to convey with that piece of art.
And in the end, what I want my audience to walk away with is the Story. It doesn't matter how I tell it, but the fact that I manage to tell it at all.
So if that means I make minimal backgrounds, or simpler characters, or any other decision, if it works for the betterment of the story, then I should go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment