Dec 17, 2009

Faking it!

We are having a course on Sound Design as a part of our course here at NID, and I never thought it would give me such a appreciation for things we hear!
Not to mention the realisation of how exactly the audio we hear in any moving picture is created.
I am not an audiophile, I love my music, but I hardly bother much about levels, and bass and all that jazz.. I just know when I like it or not and so on, I know the audio quality of my laptop is not that hot, and my phone just frankly sucks! but I didn't know how to appreciate a good pair of stereo speakers, and whole right nad left headphones things, and why Bose speakers are that hot!
Now there are positives and negatives to this new found knowledge..
One- I can put it to use in future, in terms of listening, the sounds I will record in the future for my film and so on,
but the downside?
I really know how badly my speakers suck, and too bad I just cannot afford any nice speakers etc right now!! Damn it! I have started wishing for all the things I used to mock before (citing others as audio/music snobs!) Well it looks like I'm about to become one myself..

Anyway.. this has made me realise a whole host of things, like how awesome that battle scene in Narnia really is, and how much the sound contributes there! Or how fake the film medium really is, considering that absolutely everything is recreated in a sound studio, and even if it is a sweet romantic scene with a soft little sigh and kiss at the end, and audio effects are all recreated artificially in a studio later!
How does that make me feel? A little sick, to think we get fooled into believeing that artificial world that has been created, that we actually fall for some of these characters, empathise with them, cry with them or laugh with them.
It brings to life how cynical and disillusioned the producers of those sounds and effects must be, or infact anyone in the glamorous world of film-making.They, who are involved in the business, would be the worst off in the end.. we still watch the end product, and love it and appreciate it.. but no matter how beautiful the end product, those creating the sounds itself would never be able to disassociate themselves sufficiently to forget how it came about, and thus remain, in a sense, the losers, just with heavier pockets.
And yet, it is this unreal magic which captivates us and keeps us spellbound, day after day, year after year, for the past so many decades! This same thing for which we shell out so much money every Friday or weekend, or even once a month! to be introduced into not just a fake story in a fake world, but also somehow be trapped into believing everything not just purely on visuals, but that sound.. which creeps upon us unsuspectingly, whihc introduces that realism, and makes us believe...

No comments:

Post a Comment