Dec 1, 2009

Jazz is the Sax!


There was a Jazz concert on Sunday night at the NID Riverfront. Riverfront, as we discovered much to our amusement later, refers to the Backfields of the campus! That certainly got a laugh from all of us, as many had spent a good part of two days trying to figure out what Riverfront referred to!
The performer? Saskia Laroo.. evidently she is a big thing where she comes from, which would be Holland.
Well she was... amazing! Never heard Jazz before, and never knew why it was so awesome or whatever, but that night made a convert of me!
Such music, it invigorated me, made me head bang! me! I'm the one who usually feels sleepy listening to loud music and with flashing lights! Yes, I have slept even in a disco, with music and dance on full blare all around me!
But anyway, getting back to the point, I loved it! Loved!
Now if only I could find her albums online somewhere to download!
I also tried to be the overachiever and tried to draw/sketch there. Went fully prepared with my trusty pens and small doodle book, but didn't account for the fact that the stage would be lit up and the rest of the place in comparitive darkness.. so I couldnt really see much to draw.. tried anyway, and came up with some of my most crappy doodles, add darkness to really jazzy music, impatience, foot tapping and pulsating crowd.. not exactly the ambience to draw patiently and in one continuous line!

The results... Fun, late hurried dinner, some sketches, and no sleep as had to then sit and complete the assignment I had been putting off for four days!
People sitting on the grass and listening...


The Director sitting and enjoying the show as well.


A photographer who kept coming in front of Saskia, and the bass guitarist.

No comments:

Post a Comment